Tuesday, November 29, 2016

a thought or two on getting older...

The word for today (and, just maybe, the foreseeable future) is K-L-E-P-T-O-C-R-A-C-Y, a worried comedian making some good points, and over in the "fuck-all that can be done about it" department...

The other day I heard someone who happened to be younger than I am saying that, as he was getting on in years it was about time to replace his sailboat with a big trawler. Apparently his thinking was at the grand old age of 55 sailing is no longer a sensible option.

Which is nonsense of course, as I have known many folk in their seventies who are still kicking butt and sailing significant voyages who, I suspect, would shudder at the thought of ending up in a trawler.

That said, once you hit a certain age, the thought of a less strenuous lifestyle does have its appeals and I'll admit to having considered retiring at some point (like when I'm eighty or so) so I can mess around on the water, play guitar, read, and indulge in gastronomic indulgences while waiting for the answer to that big question on a boat not unlike this one...


On the other hand, I still have a whole lot of sailing and boatbuilding before I hit the quatre-vingt zone

Listening to Theresa Andersson

So it goes...