Monday, May 15, 2017

the toys/fads conundrum...

Talking about climate change, a postmortem of interest, and Krugman on tRumpistan...

The other day someone wrote and asked my opinion on what SUP they should buy.

Now, I'll admit I just might be the very last person someone should ask for advice regarding stand up paddleboards (otherwise known as surfboards for old guys too old to get up from a paddling position) but, as all of a sudden SUPs seem to be a required part of the well-equipped cruising boat/experience I did consider the pros/cons and offered some advice...

Get a windsurfer instead.

Though I should add the proviso that free advice is worth what you paid for it.

Seriously though, while no fan of windsurfing (the bad parts of two good sports combined) it has not escaped my notice that, as an old past-its-sell-by-date fad, windsurfers can be had for as little as $25, the entry level (think BIC) boards are big enough to stand up and paddle on comfortably, and you can even (dare I say it?) sail the damn things.

Or, you can just wait another year or so until SUPs are bypassed by the next fad (foiling water skis perhaps?) and pick one up for pennies on the dollar.

Listening to Quitapenas

So it goes...